Translate

Monday, March 3, 2014

My First Winter in Iowa…

   
 I grew up in Phoenix, Arizona so my first winter in Iowa was a total and complete shock to me.  I had no idea how to prepare for what was coming my way.  30 below zero temperatures with the wind chill and snow, lots and lots of snow!

      We purchased snow boots, heavy jackets, hats, and gloves to help keep us warm.  I learned quickly that dressing in three layers kept me warm in this below zero temperatures.  Within the first month of bad snow storms I finally thought I could handle it.
      One day I decided I was ready and able to drive myself into town about 15 miles away.  I got all bundled up and walked out to my car to start it and let it warm up for awhile.  I put the key in the driver’s side door to unlock the car.  The next thing I knew was that I was now lying underneath my car.  I crawled out from underneath my car and attempted to unlock the car door again.  This time my feet were in a different stance and I was able to unlock the car without slipping on the ice.
      For at least a week, every morning I would bundle up and walk out to start my car and every morning during this time frame I found myself right back underneath my car.  I kept forgetting about my “magic” stance that kept me on my feet.
      Feeling completely defeated the following Monday I bundled up and walked out to warm up my car.  This time to my surprise the ice patch wasn’t there.  It turns out my next door neighbors had been watching me every morning and laughing as I slipped and went under my car.  So they decided enough was an enough and felt sorry for me so they kindly put some salt down around the driver’s door so I wouldn’t slip again.
      They came out that morning to tell me how funny it was to watch me over drinking their morning coffee which gave me the opportunity to ask them a question.  “Every morning when I come out to warm up my car my nose suddenly hurts.  It’s a feeling  I have never felt before, do you have any suggestions as to why?” I asked.  Carol replied while laughing hysterically, “It’s your nose hairs freezing Lysa.”

      All I can say is that if it’s so cold and icy out every morning that you slip and fall winding up underneath your car and your nose hairs freeze instantly when you walk out your door it’s time to move somewhere warmer.  That’s exactly what I did a few years later as soon as I could afford to, I moved back to Arizona where I plan to stay until the day I die.

©2014 Lysa Wilds

No comments:

Post a Comment